Welcome to the pantry - I Hope you find what you're looking for

HOME PAGE ----------------------------------- HOME PAGE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday 28 January 2010

Skimming stock

Skimming stock is an essential part of the process. It basically removes grease and impurities from the stock which prevents it from becoming cloudy and tasting bitter. I cannot emphasise the importance of skimming enough, failure to do this simple step will result in a very poor quality stock.

How to:


Once the stock has come up to heat and is bubbling nicely you will notice a frothy scum forming on the surface. This is what we need to remove. Using a large shallow spoon go across the top of the stock collecting as much scum as you can. Run the spoon under cold water first as this will help to draw the scum to the spoon. Try not to remove too much liquid though!



Generally speaking I repeat this skimming every ten minutes or so for the first hour of cooking (except vegetable stock which only needs skimming once). You should find the scum will become less and less.


I recommend that you use free range and organic produce for every recipe, diet, juice and detox found within this site. There is no substitute for good quality food!

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Contact me:

If you would like to contact me then please email me at esotericman1967@googlemail.com

Or follow me on Twitter: esotericman1967




Followers